Today’s Conservatoire in the Puschkinstrasse was constructed as a timber-framed house in the Baroque style in the second half of the 18th century. In 1820 the building passed into the Grand Duke’s ownership and was given a classicist hall in the upper storey. The building’s interior was remodelled at the end of the 19th century, the classicist interiors being extended in Neo-Baroque or Neo-Renaissance style.
The stables and the carriage-house have also been preserved. The palace served as the residence of the President of the Chamber and from the mid-19th century as the service residence of the State Counsellors, and later also of the Minister-President of the State of Mecklenburg. Since 1969 it has housed the Schwerin School of Music