Around 1840 the Court Gardener and later Garden Director, Theodor Klett, moved into the service accommodation in today’s Schlossgartenallee. Shortly afterwards a barn was added, with coach-house, stables and an equipment room, designed by the Court Architect Georg Adolf Demmler. The Grand Duke personally assessed the building site and designs.

Theodor Klett not only grew vegetables for his own family in the garden; he also used it to cultivate roses and shrubs for the Grand Ducal gardens.